Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail recipe, also known as “Coctel de Camarones,” is a vibrant and refreshing appetizer that showcases the fresh, bold flavors of Mexican cuisine.
This delightful dish is a scrumptious blend of tender, succulent shrimp, crisp vegetables, and a tangy, zesty tomato-based sauce, making it a perfect choice for warm weather gatherings or as a light, yet satisfying meal.
How to make Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Recipe
• 2 Lbs Jumbo Shrimp
• 2 Celery Stalks, (sliced thin)
• 1 Jalapeno, (seeded, finely chopped)
• 1 Cucumber, (chopped)
• 2 Avocados, (peeled, pitted, chopped)
• 2 Handfuls Fresh Cilantro, (chopped)
• 1/2 Small White or Yellow Onion, (finely chopped)
• 2 Limes, (juice & zest)
• 1 Orange, (juice & zest)
• 11.5 ounce Can Tomato Juice
• 1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce
• 2 Garlic Cloves, (grated)
• Favorite Hot Sauce, (to taste)
• Salt/Pepper, (to taste)
Instructions for Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Recipe:
1. Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add shrimp and boil until shrimp curl into a loose ‘C’ shape and are cooked through. Time will vary depending on size of shrimp. Drain and transfer to ice or run under cool water. Cut shrimp into bite sized chunks.
2. In large bowl combine shrimp, celery, jalapeño, cucumber, avocado, cilantro and onion.
3. In separate bowl combine lime juice, orange juice, tomato juice, tomato sauce, garlic, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Pour into shrimp mixture and stir.
4. Chill for 1+ hour then serve.
YIELD: 6 SERVING SIZE: 1
Amount Per Serving: CALORIES: 296 | TOTAL FAT: 10g | SATURATED FAT: 1g | TRANS FAT: 6g | UNSATURATED FAT: 3g | CHOLESTEROL: 239mg | SODIUM: 597mg | CARBOHYDRATES: 20g | FIBER: 5g | SUGAR: 9g | PROTEIN: 32g
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I adjust the spiciness of the Mexican Shrimp Cocktail?
Yes, you can easily adjust the spiciness of the dish by increasing or decreasing the amount of jalapeño and hot sauce used in the recipe. You can also use a milder pepper, like a poblano or Anaheim pepper, for a less spicy version.
How can I make the dish less watery?
Drain the chopped vegetables well before mixing them with the shrimp and sauce. Also, avoid over-stirring the mixture as it can cause the avocado to break down and make the dish watery.
What kind of hot sauce works best in the Mexican Shrimp Cocktail recipe ?
You can use any hot sauce that you enjoy, such as Tabasco, Cholula, or a Mexican-style hot sauce like Valentina.
How can I make the Mexican Shrimp Cocktail recipe healthier?
To make the dish healthier, you can use a low-sodium tomato juice and sauce, reduce the amount of hot sauce, and add more vegetables like bell peppers, radishes, or jicama.
Can I use cooked shrimp instead of raw shrimp for the recipe?
Yes, you can use pre-cooked shrimp for this recipe. Just skip the boiling step and proceed to mix the cooked shrimp with the rest of the ingredients.
How do I know when the shrimp is cooked properly?
Shrimp cooks quickly, and it’s essential not to overcook it. When cooked, shrimp will turn pink and opaque, and its shape will form a loose ‘C.’ If it curls tightly into a closed ‘O’ shape, it’s overcooked.
Mexican Shrimp Cocktail Recipe from belaya.info features plump, juicy shrimp that are cooked to perfection and combined with a colorful medley of diced vegetables, such as tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, and avocados.
These ingredients are then tossed in a delectable sauce made with tomato juice, lime juice, and a touch of hot sauce, which adds a pleasant kick of spice to the dish. The resulting flavors are a harmonious balance of sweet, tangy, and mildly spicy, making Mexican Shrimp Cocktail an irresistible and crowd-pleasing appetizer.
Served chilled in a tall glass or a decorative bowl, garnished with fresh cilantro and accompanied by crispy tostadas or saltine crackers, this Mexican Shrimp Cocktail recipe is sure to impress your guests and transport their taste buds to the sunny shores of Mexico.